The Shigemori Resodence is a traditional town
house dating from the middle Edo period (1789) with an adjoining garden
and tea ceremony pavilions (Muji-an, 1953 and
1969). Both garden and pavilions were designed by Mirei Shigemori,
seminal 20th century architect of Japanese garden, author of the Hojo Garden,
Tofukuji Temple (1939) amongst over ninety religious and domestic gardens.
The house belonged to the Shinto order, "Suzuka", of nearby Yoshida Shrine
and was acquired from the order by Shigemori for his family in 1943.
The main garden consists of four rock configurations symbolizing
the Elysian islands: Hojo, Eiju, Horai (central island) and Koryo placed
on the sand garden. Horai island consists of a crane style rock composite
and Hojo, a tortoise style rock composite. The stones known as "blue rock"
in the Awa region of Japan are mainly from Shikoku island. The garden is
overlooked by a veranda and a sparse main room with shoji screens, tatami
mats and a hanging paper light conceived specially by Isamu Noguchi. The
tea cermony pavilion is a rich hybrid of traditional and modern design.
In contrast to the shrines and temples of the city, the house is domestic
in scale and is connected to the rhythms of everyday life.
Main room ( shoin), 1789
Tea ceremony pavilion ( Koukoku-an), 1969
Main garden, 1970
View from tea ceremony pavilion
Courtyard garden (tsubo-niwa)
34 Kamiojicho, Yoshida
Sakyoku, Kyoto 606-8312, Japan
Fax +81 (0)75 761 8776 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to limited access
by reservation only
Visit tour : Japanese only
English | Japanese
| site | project | seminar
| association | map
| contact | archives